The Live to Crush Beginning of 2012 Tale of Painters – Malifaux Edition (LtCBo2012ToP-ME) has become a bitter point of contention around the LtC website and in our personal email battles. The oddest of oddities occurred when we all finished the ToP! To further compound the issue, we never resolved the affair in our grand battle royale to see who was the true victor. To reconcile this issue, we have decided to have a grand new resolution league to determine who the winner of the first league was!
Here’s how it works: Pick a faction and master/henchmen in month one. Month one you have to paint that master* or henchmen (models in the case of Viktoria’s). Each game in the league has to be played with that master or henchmen leading your crew You can use any legal models able to be used with that master or henchmen. A master can hire a henchmen at any time as it is a legal model in that master’s crew. A henchmen as a leader means you can not have a master in your crew for the duration of the league. Not all the models used have to be painted and models used can be previously painted. Participants are encouraged to paint additional models per month to gain more achievement points. Achievements?!
List of Achievements…..all can be gotten only once unless otherwise noted:
- Player Hater: Kill enemy master
- Kongming’s Protégé: Get 8 VP’s in one scenario
- Dominator: Won game (can be gotten multiple times)
- Lord of the Brush: Paint at least one model able to be used by your master (can be gotten once for each model you paint, painted figures need to be posted on LtC before June 1st)
- Michelangelo’s David: Sculpt your own model to be used as a proxie in this league
- Moby Dick: Kill a model on a 50mm base
- Ace in the Hole: Perform a magic spell attack that kills a fully healthy model in one shot
- Right between the Eyes: Perform a ranged weapon attack that kills a fully healthy model in one shot
- Red Tide: Flip the red joker two turns in a row (no cheating)
- Black Death: Flip the black joker two turns in a row (no cheating)
- Architect: Fully construct and paint a decent (9 square inch) size terrain piece while the league is in session.
- Harvester: Make a piece of special terrain from the Malifaux rule book and interact with it in a game (can not be combined with Architect)
- Stratego: Make a strategy specific token and use it in a league game.
- Da Vinci: Build a 36” x 36” game board during the league (must post progress and construction shots)
- Desperate Gambit: Go for a kill on an enemy master with your master. Fail to kill enemy master. In the following opponents round, your master dies.
- Greyjoy: Kill one of your own models (not sacrifice or bury)
- Rabbit in the Hat: Win a game with no models in play on the table at the end of the game
- Brew Master: Bring 12 or more beers to a game night
- Turner ‘n Hooch: Bring a 750ml bottle of liquor to game night
- Fuk Mi: Bring a bottle of Sake to game night
- Reinforcements: Bring food to feed five grown men to a game night that is not being held at your place of habitation.
- Royal Assassin: Kill the enemy master first before killing any other model.
- South Paw: Move every model and make every flip with your non-dominant hand for a game.
- What Happens in Malifaux, Stays in Malifaux: paint a lady of the night or kill a lady of the night (can not double dip this achievement)
- Chinatown: On League game night, use a Ten Thunders faction model and bring General Tso’s chicken for all attendees (can not double dip with Reinforcements)
- Santa Claus: Give a Malifaux model to a friend in this league.
- Master of the Mind: Beat an opponent in a Willpower resist duel with a duel difference of +14
- First and Last Word: Your master takes the first and last activations of the game
- Skunked: Win against an opponent that scores zero victory points
- Ender’s game: Finish a game completely to the end
- On Fire!: Win three games in a row
- Hatrick: Win a game with three victory points
- Dirty Dancer: Play an entire league game while continuously dancing
- Sly Schemer: Play a game using a master specific scheme and a faction specific scheme
This puts emphasis on winning and painting, but you can still get some of these even if you failed to win a game. Plus this reduces the pressure to buy and paint a completely new crew or a fourth minion of some minion you already have painted, but still rewards those that do paint like crazy.
Here is a tentative schedule:
Month 1 – January – Paint master/henchmen* – 20 soulstone Scrap – Strategy options: Flip 1-4: Deliver Message, Flip 5-9: Escape and Survive, Flip 10-13: Treasure Hunt
Month 2 – February– 25 soulstone Scrap – Strategy options: Flip 1-4: Line in the Sand, Flip 5-9: Plant Evidence, Flip 10-13: Destroy the Evidence
Month 3 – March – 30 soulstone Scrap – Strategy options: Flip 1-4: Distract, Flip 5-9: Contain Power, Flip 10-13: Slaughter
Month 4 – April – 35 soulstone Scrap – Strategy options: Flip 1-4: Claim Jump, Flip 5-9: Reconnoiter, Flip 10-13: Supply Wagon
Month 5 – May – 35 soulstone Brawl – Strategy: Shared Turf War
On the months where there are flip options, both players can not play the same strategy.
There will be one league game played per month. If you miss a month, then tough noogies. For points to be gained painting a model/making terrain, it has to be posted on LtC no later than 12:00 AM EST on June 1st 2013. I’ll make and update a score sheet to track the league standings.
To determine who plays who each league night will be a function of who is present. Opponents will be randomly determined, but no person may play a second person more than once unless extenuating circumstances demand otherwise.
The winner of the league gets a brand new crew of their choice! Good luck Suckas!!
If anyone sees any loopholes in this system, please let me know. Also, if you try this out with your friends let us know how it turned out!
*Some of us may not paint a new master for various reasons, but it is encouraged.